First conducted in 1997 by the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP, Caregiving in the U.S. takes a look at unpaid family Caregivers in the U.S. — particularly the physical and mental toll this selfless job takes on Caregivers.
Unpaid Caregivers (a spouse, partner, family member, friend, or neighbor) are often the backbone of long-term care provided in people’s homes. However, the stress of caring for another person, on top of their own personal life and 9-5 job, can leave many Caregivers feeling overwhelmed.
Unpaid Caregivers in the United States
AAPR’s updated Caregiving in the U.S. 2020 discovered that:
- Nearly one in five (19%) Caregivers are providing unpaid care to an adult with health or functional needs.
- More Americans (24%) are caring for more than one person. This is up from 18% in 2015.
- More family Caregivers (26%) have difficulty coordinating care. This is also up from 19% in 2015.
- More Americans (26%) are caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. This is up from 22% in 2015.
- More Americans (23%) say Caregiving has made their own health worse.
- Family Caregiving spans across all generations, including Boomers, Gen-X, Gen-Z, Millennials, and Silent.
- 61% of family Caregivers are also working.
The Mental and Physical Impact of Caring for Older Adults
Caregiving is incredibly rewarding; however, the stress of it can take a toll on unpaid Caregivers. Long-term Caregivers have been known to have elevated levels of depression and anxiety, poor self-reported physical health, and a compromised immune system.
How Home Helpers® Home Care Provides Relief to Caregivers
Hiring a professional Caregivers benefits more than just the person being cared for — it also gives their friends and family the opportunity to simply be loved ones, not Caregivers. Even occasional professional support, like that provided by Home Helpers®, gives family Caregivers the chance to rest, unwind, and attend to their own needs.
As an essential business, Home Helpers® Home Care is proud to be helping our seniors stay healthy and safe during these uncertain times. If you’re someone who’s looking to make a positive difference in the lives of senior citizens, become a part of our successful franchise!
Make someone’s life easier while delivering an exceptional experience by reaching out to our team at (844) 899-8801 or contacting us online.